Monday, April 07, 2008

Genome Master Of The Universe Believes In God

I am looking forward to the publication of The Language of God by Francis Collins.

I am not encouraged, however, by the asserted basis of his claim to authority:

"His epiphany came when he went hiking through the Cascade Mountains in Washington state. He said: “It was a beautiful afternoon and suddenly the remarkable beauty of creation around me was so overwhelming, I felt, ‘I cannot resist this another moment’.”

Collins believes that science cannot be used to refute the existence of God because it is confined to the “natural” world. In this light he believes miracles are a real possibility. “If one is willing to accept the existence of God or some supernatural force outside nature then it is not a logical problem to admit that, occasionally, a supernatural force might stage an invasion,” he says."
If that is the foundation for his mere assertions, can we really expect a rigorous intellectual argument, or can we only expect a bunch of improbable declamations?

I accept that it is unfair to judge an author in advance of publication but this surely does not augur well.

Cast your runes carefully.

No comments: