Monday, May 19, 2008

In God's Name: UK Fundamentalist Stephen Green And His Cult

Dispatches tonight broadcast a documentary about fundamentalist Christians in the UK.

Stephen Green was the prime target so his website is the title link. Never let it be said that I do not give my opponents a fair chance to reply even in the form of getting their revenge in first.

Today at least, his website heads up with a reference to Jeremiah 46. Presumably, he endorses this chapter of the bible. I do not suggest he endorses my citation of the St James' version (which qualifies as literature). I am afraid he will have to live with that.

Now, this is a chapter of the bible quite as warlike as some things in the koran. I am puzzled therefore why Mr Green describes Islam as a religion created by the anti-christ. I am also puzzled why he cites a passage "against the gentiles" when he is one.

I set out below some quotations from the Dispatches programme. Some are reported speech because I could not type fast enough.

Unidentified speaker to schoolchildren:
People turned into a pillar of salt

He sent snakes to bite them… This really really happened.

The Headmaster of the school they run:

Using the bible to teach science really really helps.

Refuses to answer questions concerning school teaching that earth is 4-6000 years old.

Andrea the campaigning barrister:
4,000 years.

Islam is a false religion.

Mostly dodged questions.

Other unidentified (but same person):
I have tasted the goodness of God.

I don’t want you to barbecue forever.

The Sayings of Stephen Green:

I don't like it. (On being interviewed).

No I have not met anyone who stopped being gay because of our leaflet. (On the effectiveness of his mission to suppress homosexuality).

The judgment that is looming is the menace of islam – if that is not the judgment of God I don’t know what is. (On a competitor faith).

God has honoured us by visiting financial ruin on the producers and the theatres. (On Jerry Springer the Opera).

The bird pooh was a message from god telling me not to participate in the interview. (On bird pooh falling on his revered person).

No comments: