Thursday, May 15, 2008

What's wrong with Lawyer jokes?

Answer: Lawyers don't think they're funny, and nobody else thinks they're jokes.

Sample jokes from Law Laughs:

The Scrupulous Businessman

A businessman was trying to choose a lawyer, but was being very careful about it. He scheduled appointments to interview three lawyers.

At the first lawyer's office, after an initial exchange of pleasantries, the businessman said, "Okay, let's get down to business. I have an important question for you, and I want you to think carefully before answering. How much is two plus two?"

The lawyer raised his eyebrows. "two plus two is four." The businessman thanked him for his time, and proceeded to his next appointment.

The second lawyer, who was also a CPA, seemed a bit more particular than the first lawyer. After an initial discussion, the businessman again announced that he had a very important question, and asked, "How much is two plus two?"

The second lawyer went over to a computer, and entered figures into a spreadsheet. "According to my calculations, two plus two is approximately four." The businessman thanked him for his time, and proceeded to his next appointment.

The third lawyer sat behind a big mahogany desk, and smoked a cigar. He seemed rather self-important as compared to the other two, but at the same time appeared to be much more successful. The businessman again announced, "I would like you to answer a very important question for me, before I decide whether I should use your services. How much is two plus two?"

The lawyer pulled the shades, locked the door to his office, and asked in a hushed voice, "How much do you want it to be?"
The Doctor and The Lawyer

A doctor had just bought a villa on the French Riviera, when met an old lawyer friend whom he hadn't seen in years, and they started talking. The lawyer, as it turned out, owned a nearby villa. They discussed how they came to retire to the Riviera.

"Remember that lousy office complex I bought?" asked the lawyer, "Well, it caught fire, and I retired here with the fire insurance proceeds. What are you doing here?"

The doctor replied, "Remember that real estate I had in Mississippi? Well, the river overflowed, and here I am with the flood insurance proceeds. It's amazing that we both ended up here in pretty much the same way."

"It sure is," the lawyer replied, looking puzzled, "but I'm confused about one thing - how do you start a flood?"
And One Final Short Joke

The trouble with the legal profession is that 98% of its members give the rest a bad name.
Note

I love lawyer jokes but some other lawyers do get chippy about them. Tough. Live with it! Chaucer and Shakespeare probably did not start the tradition of having a go at lawyers but they certainly carried it on and no lawyer today is going to stop it.

I will put a link to the above site in my sidebar shortly.

You might also try The Red Squirrel Lawyer Joke on my current homepage but be warned that I am rewriting my homepage and this link may become invalid when I update it and I may forget to update this link.

No comments: